Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Opening Day in Michael Jackson trial

In the first day of the Conrad Murray trial, his defense team claimed Michael Jackson 'caused his own death'.
Murray has been accused of administering the lethal dose of the anaesthetic Propofol that killed Jackson on June 25 2009.

Attorney Ed Chernoff, in his opening statement said "During the 10 hours on June 25, 2009, while Michel Jackson was frustrated because he could not sleep, frustrated because his doctor refused to give him a drug that he preferred, that he wanted, he did an act without his doctor's knowledge, without his doctor's permission, against his orders - he did an act that caused his own death.
When Dr. Murray left the room, Michael Jackson self-administered a dose of Propofol that created a perfect storm in his body that killed him instantly. He died so rapidly, so instantly - he didn't even have time to close his eyes.
They said science will prove that Jackson did this to himself.

During their opening statement of the trial, the defence team claimed Murray had always been concerned about how much knowledge Michael had of Propofol and couldn't cope when Murray weaned him off it after two months.
Prosecutors insist that Murray used a makeshift intravenous drip to administer propofol, a practice they argue violated the standard of care and led to the pop star's death.
But Chernoff said Murray did not use a makeshift intravenous drip to administer the drug. Chernoff added that an expert on propofol will testify that Murray was not responsible for Jackson's death.
Kenny Ortega: Producer
-said he was shocked by Jackson's appearance when he arrived at a rehearsal, on June 19, less than a week before he died.
-"He appeared lost and a little incoherent. I did not feel he was well."
-said he gave the pop singer food and wrapped him in a blanket to ward off chill. Jackson watched the rehearsal and did not participate.
-helped Jackson prepare for the "This Is It" world tour scheduled for London's O2 Arena in 2009.

In an e-mail written early June 20, Ortega wrote, in part, to AEG president Randy Phillips, "My concern is, now that we've brought the Doctor in to the fold and have played the tough love, now or never card, is that the Artist may be unable to rise to the occasion due to real emotional stuff. He appeared quite week and fatigued this evening. He had a terrible case of the chills, was trembling, rambling and obsessing. Everything in me says he should be psychologically evaluated. If we have any chance at all to get him back in the light. It's going to take a strong Therapist to (get) him through this as well as immediate physical nurturing. ... Tonight I was feeding him, wrapping him in blankets to warm his chills, massaging his feet to calm him and calling his doctor.
"I believe that he really wants this ... it would shatter him, break his heart if we pulled the plug," Ortega wrote. "He's terribly frightened it's all going to go away. He asked me repeatedly tonight if I was going to leave him. He was practically begging for my confidence. It broke my heart. He was like a lost boy. There still may be a chance he can rise to the occasion if get him the help he needs."
-said Murray was unhappy that Jackson did not rehearse and told him not to try to be the singer's physician
-Jackson insisted the next day he was capable of doing the rehearsals.

Evidence that was entered to the court was a recording of Jackson talking while drugged and his post-mortem picture on a stretcher.
Michael's brother Jermaine and sister Janet held hands across sister Rebbe's lap in court, while his mother, Katherine, was tearful.
If found guilty, Murray faces four years in jail.

No comments:

Post a Comment