When people lie often they show signs of discomfort or they touch themselves in different ways that can give away their true position.
Here are some basic body language movements of a liar.
- Scratching or rubbing the bottom of their nose.
- Scratching or rubbing their ears.
- Scratching in general.
- Covering their mouth with their hand while they speak.
- Unconsciously stroking a part of their body (this gives a feeling of comfort).
- Tuning their body away from you.
- Males may cover their groin area.
- Males may put their hands in their pockets.
- Their hands are in the center of their body line.
- Their eyes are looking for a way to get away from the situation.
- They run their hands through their hair (This is a gesture that could mean “This person is getting in my hair”).
- Rubbing the back of their neck (this could mean “This person is being a pain in the neck”).
- Placing objects in between themselves and the person they are lying to.