Thursday, December 22, 2011

Baby dies after bacterial infection from Enfamil

Wal-Mart says it has recalled a quantity of infant formula this week after a baby died in Missouri.
"We extend our deepest condolences to this baby boy's family as they try to come to grips with their loss," said Dianna Gee, a Wal-Mart spokeswoman. " As soon as we heard what happened, we immediately reached out to the manufacturer of the formula and to the Department of Health and Senior Services to provide any information we may have to help with the investigation."

Wal-Mart said it is pulled a batch of Enfamil from its stores nationwide that matched the size and lot number of the formula that may have sickened the baby in Missouri, Gee said.That lot number is ZP1K7G. The baby formula was purchased from a Wal-Mart in Lebanon, Missouri. After the purchase a 10-day-old infant died from a rare bacterial infection.

Avery Cornett was taken to St. John’s Hospital-Lebanon late last week after appearing lethargic and displaying what his family said were signs of a stomach ache. He was later moved to St. John’s Hospital-Springfield, and preliminary tests showed that he had contracted a rare bacterial infection, Cronobacter sakazakii. He died Sunday after being removed from life support.

The government has not ordered a recall of the 12.5-ounce cans of Enfamil Newborn powder.

Authorities are running tests to determine if the death came from the formula, the water to make the formula or any other factor, said Mead Johnson Nutrition, the company that makes Enfamil."We are highly confident in the safety and quality of our products -- and the rigorous testing we put them through," said Chris Perille, a Mead Johnson Nutrition spokesman.  He said its records showed the lot tested negative for the bacterium before it was shipped.

No comments:

Post a Comment